Tuesday, January 3, 2012

My New Year's Promises

Because I don't like the term "resolution."

With "resolution," I feel like you are forcing yourself to do something you don't like or want to do. On the contrary, my "promises" are things that I already like to do, but want to improve on or do with more consistency in order to make me a better, happier, and more independent person.

So, here are my promises:

To COOK more! I already love cooking and baking, but it's so hard to justify if I'm the only one eating it. Now that I have a weekly dinner group, I have no excuse NOT to continue to improve my culinary skills. I look forward to trying out new recipes, techniques, and meal ideas!

To READ! More, everyday, and a variety of books. Again, I love reading--but it's so hard to carve time out of my day to continue to sit and stare at something. However, I get so much out of reading, and I really believe that it makes me a happier and more well-rounded person. So here's to that!

To EAT healthier! I was recently forced to give up red meat and uncooked fruits and vegetables because of a health issue. However, I'm using this to my advantage. Being red-meatless will make me healthier, and it gives me the chance to explore more seafood and vegetarian options in my diet. I am excited to stick to these strict dietary plans and I already feel better because of it.

To PLAY! And by play, I mean become more active. Whether it be going to the Turner Center, doing Wii Fit, or convincing someone (cough cough COLBY) to play tennis with me, I need to get out and move my body around. Not that I need to lose weight, but being healthier and more active will make me feel better and be happier. This might be my greatest challenge of all my promises--but I'm determined to at least attempt this!

To TRAVEL! Here, there and everywhere. I'm realizing how much of Mississippi I haven't seen. I want to know more about my home, see more of America, and even go out of the country as well. I have always suffered a severe case of wanderlust, so this is the year to avoid excuses for acting on it.

So, there you go: my self-promises for 2012. What do you have planned for the year ahead?



LHC

1 comment:

  1. We will have to talk about your health! I had no idea that had happened! I am definitely trying to become more active as well and just be more conscious of what I am eating.

    I really hope I get into JAG because I am ready to travel!! (And get paid to do it!)

    ReplyDelete